15 April 2010

Short Film: Guy Maddin's NIGHT MAYOR


source ThePlaylist
Below is the latest short film from Guy Maddin called NIGHT MAYOR.

The film is about Nihad Ademi, an inventor from Bosnia who immigrates to Winnipeg. He builds, with his children, a machine called the "Telemodium" which uses the waves of Aurora Borealis to broadcast footage of "every day life for every day people." The footage is shown in different parts of Canada, coast to coast. Eventually, people begin to take to these images and start broadcasting their own, that is, until the police get involved.

The movie lasts 13 minutes and is shot in glorious black and white like his previous work of My Winnepeg a documentary about Maddin's home city. The whole style I would describe as experimental, original shot in the style of the black & white movies of the early 1900's  and this short movie is online courtesy of NFB -National Film Board of Canada and they describe the auteur as "an imaginative cinematic riff on the significance of a public film producer." Guy Maddin is very new to me and when I watched this short I got the feeling I liked what I was watching but if you asked me why I couldn't say but he is a very proud Canadian and his previous cv contains alot of Canadianesque projects, check it out Night Mayor below;

No comments:

Post a Comment