6 February 2016

BLOODY BURLESQUE: A HORROR SHORT. 2016. REVIEW BY SANDRA HARRIS.


BLOODY BURLESQUE. WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY AWARD-WINNING FILM-MAKER PATRICIA CHICA. PRODUCED BY MICHELLE ROMANO. STARRING TIFFANY SHEPIS AND TONYA KAY. AVAILABLE TO WATCH ON YOUTUBE FROM FEBRUARY 1ST, 2016. REVIEW BY SANDRA HARRIS. ©

There isn't a man alive who wouldn't want to see a beautiful woman strip down to her scanties to perform a sensual, sexy burlesque dance for his personal edification, right? Right. I'm a heterosexual female, but even I like the idea of watching the art form that is burlesque. Womens' bodies are beautiful in any scenario. What's not to like?

And if, in the absence of a real-live burlesque dancer performing privately for you in your very own living-room, you could watch a short film in which one of the most gorgeous women imaginable got her jugs out and danced for you for the very sustainable time of less than three minutes, you'd be happy enough, right? Right.

That being the case, you need to watch this short film. In honour of WOMEN IN HORROR RECOGNITION MONTH, Patricia Chica has created BLOODY BURLESQUE. It's part of an anthology of horror shorts for the annual MASSIVE BLOOD DRIVE PSA, curated by the Soska sisters whose names I'm sure you will recognise from such films as AMERICAN MARY and HELLEVATOR. It's a super, super super good cause, the donating of blood to those who need it, and I've always loved the idea of horror shorts. They make my butt look fabulous.

Anyway, the film is short so I won't give too much away, but it features scream queens Tiffany Shepis (SHARKNADO 2, THE VIOLENT KIND, THE HAZING) and Tonya Kay (AMITYVILLE TERROR, WITHIN THE DARKNESS). The stunning Tonya Kay is the lady getting her kit off for your enjoyment. Her striptease is more than just a quick waggle of her infinitely delectable tits and ass to music, however. Her body is covered in writing, see?

Words like death, leukaemia, disease and infection adorn her perfect skin. Before the short film has ended, however, she has rubbed out the words by drenching her body with a red, liquidy substance you gore-hounds might recognise. Yes, we're talking blood here, people. Ms. Tonya Kay looks immensely fetching, even covered from head to toe in fake haemoglobin, and the whole thing is strangely uplifting and positive, despite the macabre nature of the performance.

The rubbing out of death and disease and all those other nasty words during the baptism by blood is of course symbolic. Hopefully the film's very obvious message that giving blood is not only good but vital will send you rushing to your nearest Blood Donation Centre with your sleeves rolled up and your arms exposed, ready to receive your free sugary cookie and a sticker with the words I GAVE BLOOD TODAY on it. Some centres even have balloons. Who wouldn't want a balloon? I want a balloon, for crying out loud.

I know that all you big strong men (and women!) out there won't let the fear of a little prick put you off doing what you know you need to do. If it helps, all the gorgeous women involved in the creation of this terrific short film will be incredibly grateful to you. Sadly, they won't be able to express their gratitude in any personal way, and if you try to force the issue, well, that's called stalking and it's very much frowned upon in civilised society, haha.

I had a stalker once myself, believe it or not, even though I'm not a big famous celebrity like these ladies in the film. His name was Dave (still is, I presume, unless he's changed it) and he spent a lot of time in the bushes outside my house during the freezing cold winter of 2010. I confess to feeling desperately sorry for him when it snowed, knowing that he was outside freezing his bollocks off, and I used to bring him out the odd cup of steaming hot Bovril. He was actually very grateful for my kindness and we had some lovely chats while I waited for him to be done with the mug.

Anyway, just to add that Patricia Chica's past involvement in the Montreal burlesque and fetish subcultures add an authenticity to this horror short, the concept of which she says came to her through meditation. I personally wouldn't have the patience for meditation but, as a writer, I've had plenty of ideas come to me in dreams. Sadly, none of 'em have ever made it on to the big screen yet, or even the small screen. Sigh. I'll let you all go for now. I've got to iron my horror shorts and I know you guys have got to go watch this film and then give blood, haha.

AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY OF SANDRA HARRIS.

Sandra Harris is a Dublin-based novelist, film blogger and movie reviewer. She has studied Creative Writing and Film-Making. She has published a number of e-books on the following topics: horror film reviews, multi-genre film reviews, womens' fiction, erotic fiction, erotic horror fiction and erotic poetry. Several new books are currently in the pipeline. You can contact her at:


http://sandrafirstruleoffilmclubharris.wordpress.com





3 comments:

  1. I love this article! Thank you so much Sandra! I will share it everywhere!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for letting Sandra review your movie short, all the best with it - Paul

      Delete
  2. Perhaps I can Convince YOU into making a Sequel, Beautiful Sandra Harris !!!

    ReplyDelete